How bad is Shopify for SEO?

I’ve read that Shopify has significant SEO problems, but I still want to launch an online business. Since I’m not good at web development, I would really like to use Shopify.

I’m trying to decide if I should pay someone to create my website from the ground up with SEO in mind.

OR create my own Shopify website and employ a professional in search engine optimization to iron out any kinks.

Any opinions or guidance would be much valued.

1 Like

Shopify has several SEO advantages, such as automatically generated sitemaps, editable meta-data, support for WebP image formats, and redirect creation. It does, however, have certain drawbacks, including limited blogging capabilities, imposed URL formats, and the lack of native product review functionality.

Shopify is user-friendly, but SEO might need a professional touch. Building a website from scratch offers more SEO control, but requires coding knowledge. Use Shopify’s user-friendliness to build your own store, then hire an SEO expert to iron out any kinks. This might be a cost-effective way to get started with SEO and leverage Shopify’s ease of use

Shopify helps you optimize your store for search engines in a few ways. You can easily edit product descriptions, use high-quality images that load fast, and create redirects for broken links. However, it doesn’t allow customers to leave reviews directly on products, and you have some limitations on how you can structure your website addresses and blog posts.

Shopify has some limitations regarding built-in SEO features compared to completely custom-built websites. However, it can still be a great platform to launch your online business, especially for beginners who aren’t comfortable with web development. Here’s a breakdown of both options to help you decide:

Option 1: Custom Website with SEO Focus

Pros:

• Highly Optimized for Search Engines: A developer can build your website with a strong SEO foundation, including clean code, fast loading speeds, and a structure optimized for search engines.
  • Complete Control: You have complete control over the website’s design and functionality, allowing for a unique brand experience.
  • Scalability: Custom websites can be more scalable for future growth compared to Shopify’s limitations with complex functionalities.

Cons:

• Higher Initial Cost: Developing a website from scratch can be significantly more expensive than using Shopify, especially for smaller businesses.
  • Ongoing Maintenance: Custom websites might require ongoing maintenance and updates from the developer, adding to the cost.
  • Time Commitment: Developing a custom website can take more time compared to using a platform like Shopify.

Option 2: Shopify Website with SEO Optimization

Pros:

• Cost-Effective: Shopify offers a user-friendly platform with a monthly subscription fee, making it a cost-effective option for many businesses.
  • Easy to Use: Shopify requires no coding knowledge and offers a drag-and-drop interface for building your website.
  • SEO Workarounds: While SEO isn’t perfect on Shopify, there are still ways to optimize your store using apps, plugins, and SEO best practices.
  • Professional Help Later: You can always hire an SEO professional later to address any limitations and improve your Shopify website’s ranking.

Cons:

• Limited SEO Features: Out of the box, Shopify has limitations on SEO aspects like URL structure and meta descriptions compared to custom websites.
  • Less Control: You’re somewhat limited by Shopify’s themes and functionalities compared to a fully custom website.

Recommendation:

Start with Shopify and an SEO Pro: Considering you’re not comfortable with web development, Shopify can be a good starting point. You can then hire an SEO professional to optimize your store for search engines. This offers a good balance between affordability and SEO effectiveness.

Focus on High-Quality Content: Regardless of the platform you choose, creating high-quality, informative content relevant to your target audience is crucial for SEO.

Learn SEO Basics: Invest some time in learning basic SEO principles. This knowledge will help you collaborate effectively with your SEO professional and make informed decisions about your online store.