How do you develop a List of Keywords for SEO?

Hey guys,

So, here’s the deal: imagine you’ve got a regular old business website and you’re aiming to boost traffic that could turn into actual customers. Plus, you’ve got a blog going and you can crank out about 10 to 15 posts every week.

How would you go about figuring out which keywords to target? You know, the ones that get searched a lot each month and aren’t too crazy competitive (you know how Google is). I’m a total beginner here, so any tips would be awesome!

2 Likes

Newcomer questions are totally okay here, everyone’s here to help out. Let me start by asking a couple of things to give you the best answers:

What exactly do you mean by an “offline business website”? Has it not been launched yet, or is there something else going on?

You mentioned having enough “internal resources” to churn out 10-15 blog posts per week. How are you estimating this? How much time do you think it takes to write a blog post? Understanding this will help us gauge if your plan is realistic or not. Writing that many is ambitious, and if you can do it, that’s great! But you don’t want to end up with a bunch of shallow content—it won’t help much in the long run.

If you’re looking for a quick answer:

Google Keyword Planner is a solid, free tool for gathering keyword data. You’ll need to sign up with a credit card, but there’s no charge unless you decide to spend money.

Another approach is to put yourself in your customers’ shoes and consider their needs and queries. For instance, if you’re doing SEO for a plumbing business, common keywords might include “plumber near me,” “best plumber,” and “emergency plumber.” These are pretty basic and likely already targeted by others in your area.

Identify the FAQs your customers often ask and create content around those. Using the plumbing example, FAQs might include “How much does it cost to fix a sink?” or “What type of piping is best for a bathroom?” or even “How do I shut off the water in my house?” Also, ask your customers directly what content they want. They might not always have a clear answer, but if someone suggests a pricing guide, for example, you could create a blog explaining price ranges and factors affecting them (just be cautious about giving away competitive info).

There are plenty of paid SEO tools out there, but they’re not essential for doing great SEO they’re just helpful tools. Ultimately, it’s your SEO knowledge and strategy that matter most.

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me! It’s an old-school offline business, like plumbing. Regarding capacity, my office manager is willing to handle extra posts for extra pay and committed to doing over 10 posts per week.

On another note, would you say it’s better to go for 10 shorter posts around 500 words each, or would you recommend fewer, longer posts of around 1000 words each?

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but it’s just not feasible. Producing 10 posts per week for someone who isn’t familiar with SEO or content creation is a massive task. It involves extensive research for each post, editing, adding engaging images or videos, and managing the entire content posting process. To achieve quality results, you’d realistically need a dedicated content professional, not just for 10 posts a week, but even for 10 posts a month.

1 Like

I agree with DolphGabban, that certainly is a challenging task to do properly.