Debating Whether to Self-Teach SEO: Thoughts?

Hey guys, I’ve been stressing about the idea of shelling out thousands to an agency for SEO, only to end up disappointed like I have with some marketing agencies in the past. So, I’m considering teaching myself SEO instead.

Have any of you gone down that road? If so, how long did it take you to get the hang of it all? And did you manage to get your site ranking on the first page of Google for your key terms?

Also, any recommendations for YouTube channels or online courses that cover all the bases? I’m open to both free and paid options. Appreciate any advice you’ve got!

1 Like

Am impressed that you are considering learning SEO yourself. Many people including myself have successfully taken this route and found it both rewarding and cost-effective.

While exploring that option, it is important to note that:

• The time it takes to get the hang of SEO varies. Some people grasp the basics in a few weeks while mastering it can take several months to a year. Consistent practice and staying updated with the latest trends are key.
  • Achieving first-page rankings on Google depends on various factors, including competition, keyword difficulty, and the quality of your content. With dedication and the right strategies, many have seen significant improvements in their rankings.

You can check the following YouTube channels which offer courses on the same and learn by yourself:

• Ahrefs
  • Simplilearn
  • Backlinko

You can also buy a course on different sites but I recommend Udemy for better results.

Learn enough to know you need more than monitoring and ask for receipts ie the backlinks url if they claim to have done that.

They should give you a basic plan of what they provide and it can’t just be “SEO”. Several line items should be on the quote.